What we do
At Equate Scotland, we make a positive difference for women in science engineering, technology and the built environment.
Established in 2006, Equate Scotland is the national expert in gender equality throughout the STEM sectors. We make a tangible and sustainable change, enabling women studying and working in these keys sectors to develop, by supporting their recruitment, retention and progression. Our vision is of a progressive Scotland where women can contribute equally to advancements in science, engineering and technology and have fair access to the jobs of the future.
We work across Scotland and across sectors
In order to achieve this ambition we work alongside industry, academia, the Scottish Government and public bodies, creating positive changes in employment practices and workplace cultures which benefit everyone.
We achieve this by:
- Delivering training and support for women at each stage of their career.
- Delivering training and offering consultation and advice for industry to improve gender equality and diversity in the workplace.
- Providing opportunities for women students to make valuable links with industry via our student network – the UK’s only student network for women STEM students.
- Organising industry placements for women students and returners with progressive employers throughout Scotland.
- Responding to, and proactively pushing for labour market and further and higher education policy that is gender competent and tackles the root causes of women’s under-representation in STEM.
Equate Scotland is funded by the Scottish Government to deliver our work without charge to students and women. The Scottish Government also funds our public training events to build gender equality knowledge and capacity in the STEM sectors. Some of our training, consultancy and recruitment support comes at a cost, however all income generated is invested back into our support for women studying, working in, or returning to STEM and allows us to reach more women across Scotland.