The Joan Davidson Fund
Joan Davidson was an advocate and supporter of women and girls’ journeys into STEM. She had been with Edinburgh Science for 12 years as Head of Learning and stood out for her dedication to inspiring young people to explore, study and develop a lifelong love of science and technology. Her deep-rooted commitment to equality and her belief that every child deserves a fighting chance, and that learning can help empower them to face whatever the world might throw at them (and that if it can be great fun in the process then so much the better), made her an exceptional champion.
To honour her memory a donation page was started with the funds going to two non-profits that support girls and women in STEM: Equate Scotland and Science Grrl.
We decided to create a fund whose aim would be to help women achieve a project or a plan which would enhance their career in their chosen STEM field. We felt this would best pay tribute to Joan and what she stood for.
Who is it for?
Anyone who identifies as a woman, based in Scotland and is a:
- College student at a Scottish college
- University student at a Scottish University
- STEM professional
- Person looking for a career change into STEM
- Women returner
What is it for?
To help you achieve a project or plan which will enhance your career in STEM. It could be used to pay for a wide range of activities or projects. Some examples of what you could apply for include:
- Attending a specialist training course which would upgrade skills
- Attending a conference or seminar which would improve professional knowledge and contacts
- Purchasing tools or equipment needed to develop and practice skills
- The cost of travel or accommodation to enable a woman to carry out research for a specific project.
- The cost of travel or accommodation to enable a woman to carry out voluntary work, work shadowing or work experience in a science, engineering or technology role or environment.
- The cost of childcare to enable women to take part / attend any of the items listed above.
Round 4 closes 31 March 2022