Universities and Colleges can get involved with the network by recruiting Student Champions to bring women STEM students together on campus and creating opportunities to link with women STEM professionals and employers.
Support from Equate:
- Resources and training for staff
- Training programme for Student Champions
- Free training and networking events open to all women STEM students
- Connect champions to share good practice and develop regional activities
- Guidance and support to develop women in STEM societies
- Equate Student Conference & Awards
How to get involved:
Find out if your college or university already has a Student Champion connected to Equate Scotland
- You will find a list on our website at https://www.equatescotland.org.uk/equate-scotland-student-services/student-champions/
Get in touch with Equate Scotland for advice on the recruitment process, student engagement, and payment.
- Come along to our information event 20th June 14:00: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/equate-student-network-information-session-for-staff-tickets-332866150617
- Email us at or
- We can provide sample job descriptions, role agreements and interview support.
- Our recommendation is that Student Champions are paid a minimum of £300 honorarium for the academic year and that travel expenses to our training events are covered. Some institutions hire their Champions through a casual worker agreement.
Identify a team or member of staff within your college or university who will manage your Student Champion.
- We would recommend that this person who understands experiences of women in STEM and/or wider equalities agenda.
Recruit a Student Champion for 2022/23
- Ideally recruitment will be completed in the summer to begin formally in the role from August/September but recruitment outside of these times is still an option and we can be flexible with our support.
Notify Equate Scotland of this appointment
- We will bring together Student Champions and staff members to develop ideas, share good practice and create regional links.
- The Equate Student Network will provide further events for Student Champions during the academic year in addition to online webinars and adhoc 1-2-1 advice and guidance.
Please get in touch for further information and advice:
Henrietta Cameron – Training and Engagement Coordinator