Employers report that talent with STEM skills is becoming harder to recruit. With the current STEM skills shortage, an ageing workforce and the generational gap, placements are essential for building the talent pipeline and should be a significant part of your recruitment process.
23% of employers that have had internships within the previous 12 months report that they have recruited someone following an internship compared with 8% that have recruited someone after a graduate programme. (UKES Report on Youth Unemployment)
The benefits for your organisation are:
- Access to an internship recruitment scheme aimed exclusively at undergraduate female STEM students
- Build a talent pipeline and plug the skills shortage by widening your talent pool
- Enhanced company profile among Scotland’s female STEM talent and their associated universities
- Opportunity to pre-assess female STEM talent for potential future employment
- Be recognised as a progressive employer and become an employer of choice for women in STEM
- Organisations with a diverse workforce are ultimately more successful and more profitable.
- 148 female STEM students have completed Careerwise placements in the first 5 years
- 100% of employers stated that students had contributed in a meaningful way to their organisation
- 100% of employers stated that they would engage with Careerwise by offering one or more placements in future years
- 8 graduate job offers made to placement students on completion of the placement
- 2 employers have invited back 5 students for a 2nd summer placement in 2016
- 2 students have received paid extensions to their current placements
How to participate
Engagement with Careerwise is light touch for employers. It’s a simple 3 step process:
Employer identifies a piece of project work that could be completed by a student over a 3-month period. In the first instance, employers should contact Careerwise to discuss their placement opportunity on 0131 455 2267.
The next step is to then provide a job advert, job description and person specification using the Equate Scotland templates for posting to the Equate Scotland website – it’s that easy!
After the closing date, Careerwise will provide an applicant list including all CVs and cover letters. From there on, employers carryout their own recruitment and selection process, whatever that may include. We do not match you with a student – it is entirely the employer’s own choice which student they award their placement to.
All we ask is that employers complete our Confirmation of Appointment Form confirming who they have offered the placement to. We also ask that employers provide a list of all students they interview and provide feedback on each students application, CV and performance at interview.
There is no fee other than the placement student salary that the employer pays.
Careerwise placements are paid placements meaning that the student salary is funded by the company. Employers who engage with Careerwise must commit to paying the national real living wage of £8.75 per hour for anyone aged 18 years or over.
Funding Towards Student Salaries for SMES
Funding of up to £1500 max per 3-month placement is available for SMEs but these funds are limited and are dependent on which University your chosen student comes from. Contact Careerwise to enquire if your company is eligible for this funding.
Funding towards Student Salaries for construction based placements
Funding of £30 per day per student is available for any Construction company who is registered with CiTB for employees paid through PAYE who are taking planned work experience which is essential or integral to a construction-related degree for between 4 weeks and 48 weeks. Other conditions apply. Visit https://www.citb.co.uk/grant/new-grants-scheme-2018/construction-work-experience-grants/
Read our FAQs to answer any other questions you may have about the scheme.
To discuss your placement opportunity please contact us on 0131 455 2267.
Careerwise is always looking for valuable STEM work experience opportunities for talented and able female STEM students. We are oversubscribed in applications and always actively looking for new partners to offer paid work experience opportunities – will that be you?
Contact Careerwise: firstname.lastname@example.org