The ‘Interconnect Network’ was established by Equate Scotland in 2009 as the network for women studying STEM at college and university in Scotland. The network has been innovative in providing opportunities for women to connect with each other, with inspiring women STEM professionals and potential employers. However changes needed to be made to the network so that it could continue to push the #WomeninSTEM agenda further.
It relaunched as the ‘Equate Student Network’ this academic year with a renewed focus on the engagement of colleges and universities on Gender Equality in STEM and the response from these institutions has been fantastic. Currently there are 12 Equate Student Champions and 8 Institutional Champions who support them.
This new cohort of both students and institutional champions came together for a development day to cultivate ideas, share good practice and create regional links. The outcome was inspiring.
This is what the Equate Student Network looks like:
- We won’t be running the events, but supporting Student Champions, Student Groups, and Institutions when they do.
- We will be offering more resources to students so that they can gain confidence and continue to develop in their chosen career.
- We will be working with academic institutions to help them continue to promote their #WomeninSTEM agenda so that they are leading on the work and therefor help further embed practices across their institution.
- We will offer training via webinars so that women from across Scotland can join sessions such as: Network Development, CV and Interview skills, Resilience and Assertiveness training, How to apply for Careerwise Placements or How to set up an Equate Student Group.
- We will bring inspiring women to classrooms / homes through #EquateLive
- We will engage more students in strategic level decisions. This network is student lead and we want students to be a part of it.
- We will bring Scotland’s women in STEM students together every year at the Equate Student Conference.
So… like our Facebook page, follow us on Instagram or Twitter (@equatescotland), connect with a Champion or Student Group, sign up for an event run by a Student Champion, join one of our webinars or contact us to get involved. But don’t miss out on being part of the only network for women studying STEM in Scotland and helping us write this new chapter of the network.