Equate Scotland is extremely excited to announce that we are opening applications to join the Equate Scotland Steering Committee. This is a great opportunity to not just contribute to the STEM agenda, but at a personal level to grow and learn by being part of an experienced Steering Committee.
Who we’re looking for
Students with commitment, energy and creativity to join our team. By joining the Equate Scotland Steering Committee you have the opportunity to contribute to shaping the gender equality landscape for women in STEM in Scotland. Our mission is to make a positive difference for women in science engineering, technology and the built environment and actively work to change cultures in organisations and academia. You can find out more about what we do here
We are looking for 2 committee members who are woman Students in STEM. Our Student Network is student led and we want the voice and perspective of students to also be reflected in our Steering Committee. Student Committee members are appointed for a period of two years or when they leave their position on completion of their studies, whichever comes first. More details of the application procedure and roles can be found below.
- Identify as a woman
- Be a current STEM student at a Scottish college or university (HNC/HND, undergrad and post grad welcome)
- committed to the women in STEM agenda, willing to be an advocate and representative for it
- communication skills
- teamwork skills
- enthusiasm to actively work to change cultures in organisations and academic
- working within your university or college to influence women into STEM initiatives or projects
- influencing and relationship skills
- connection to academic disciplines in underrepresented/desired fields (Construction and built environment, renewables, biosciences, data science)
- understands the sensitive, and confidential aspects of the role – training will be provided
Our Steering Committee is composed of stakeholders and experts in the STEM and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion fields. They provide guidance, insight and support Equate Scotland’s organisational objectives.
The Steering Committee members commit to attending 3 to 4 meetings a year and outlined below are the type of areas that you may be asked to support
- Fulfill any actions that might come up during meetings in your area of expertise
- Serving as an advocate for Equate Scotland initiatives
- Contributing new ideas and give feedback during meetings
- Providing contacts for certain activities on specific projects
- Monitoring progress against organisational objectives
You can find the current members of the Steering Committee and their bios here.
Please fill out the application form and attach your CV.
Next Steps – Timescales
- Applications close at midnight Sunday 9th of May 2021.
- Interviews will be conducted by a panel of Equate Scotland staff and a member of the current Steering Committee. They will take place via an online interview on Wednesday, May 12th.
- If successful, your first online Steering Committee Meeting will take place on Wednesday 19th May, from 1-3pm.