Only 25% of women make up Scotland’s STEM sector. At Equate Scotland we want to see more women studying, working and leading in these sectors. But you can’t be what you can’t see! The #EquateSTEMinist Awards and campaign aims to challenge persisting stereotypes and celebrate diversity in Scotland’s STEM sector.
The Equate STEMinists Awards and campaign is an opportunity to recognise the amazing things women, students and gender equality champions have been doing over the last year in Scotland. Help us tell their stories, that will inspire other women and girls in STEM, share best practice, showcase outstanding results and recognise the amazing things that people do that make a difference.
Criteria for awards:
- Student in STEM
- A woman currently studying STEM or the Built Environment in Scotland (this includes Equate Student Champions).
- Currently studying a STEM subject in a Scottish College, University or in an apprenticeship.
- Has shown initiative in creating and seeking out opportunities for promoting equality and diversity in their institution.
- Women in STEM
- A woman currently employed in a STEM or the Built Environment field Scotland
- Has worked hard to inspire and support other women and girls in or considering STEM OR shown initiative in creating and seeking out opportunities for promoting equality and diversity in their institution.
- Has made exceptional accomplishments in their STEM field
- Gender Equality Champions in STEM
- An organisation or person working STEM or the Built Environment in Scotland
- Has worked hard to inspire and support other women and girls in or considering STEM careers.
- A person of any gender or an organisation or team who fly the flag for Women in STEM and the Built Environment, by supporting, mentoring or leading women in STEM or creating and seeking out opportunities for promoting equality and diversity in their institution.
Who can I nominate?
Anyone. Including yourself.
How do I make a nomination?
To nominate someone there is a twostep process.
- Post a picture of that person or organisation preferably in their STEM environment on any social media platform, with a brief description as to why you are nominating them and tag @EquateScotland
- Fill out this form that gives us the nominees contact information
What happens after I nominate?
We will repost your post on the same social media platform. We will then save that image and blurb in conjunction with the information you provided on the form.
Closing date for nominations is October 6th.
The Awards will be judged by an experienced panel from across the education sector, third sector and industry.
We will reach out to the shortlisted and ask them to attend the Equate STEMinists Awards where the winners will be announced. The Awards will be hosted online on October 27th at 6pm.
The winners of each category will then be interviewed and promoted in the next newsletter and on Equates various social media platforms and our network.