Placements can be the most daunting yet most exciting experience of your degree. For many of you, it may be the first experience of a real job related to your chosen career. No doubt you will be feeling nervous and unsure of your skills and abilities.
Attending our pre-placement workshop will put those nerves to rest and will give you an insight into exactly what is expected of STEM interns. Attendance will also equip you with a bag full of tools and techniques to make your placement stand out for you AND the company, whether it be company based or working remotely.
What you’ll learn:
- how to develop/enhance your presence in your ‘placement’ company
- how to market yourself to your colleagues and being aware of your personal ‘brand’
- keeping a learning log and developing your employability skills
- how to market your work and achievements on placement on behalf of the company
- how to maximise learning opportunities and add value
- how to network effectively – face to face and online
- Top 10 strategies to ensure a successful internship
This workshop provides additional careers support and advice to augment your work placement and is designed to ensure that you will go on and pursue a STEM career. It is an opportunity for you to come together with other women STEM placement students, to start to build your peer network and to gain peer support by sharing any anxieties and apprehensions you may have about starting a placement face to face or remotely. Students who attend will also receive a copy of our Interns Guide post event.