Data Science for Neuro Diverse Women
10th March, 15th March and 23rd March 2021
Free online experiential learning event delivered over 3 half days
Advances in digital technologies and the use of data are happening at pace. Scotland’s digital technology sector is growing at twice the rate of any other sector and there is an unprecedented demand for ICT and digital technology professionals and individuals with big data and data science skills. Data is the future!
Equate Scotland in collaboration with The Data Lab and CodeClan have developed a 1.5 day online experiential learning event aimed at women who have neuro divergent conditions (autism, ADHD, dyslexia and dyspraxia) looking to upskill or reskill in Data Science. The course has been tailored to suit the learning needs of neuro divergent individuals to ensure we provide the best learning experience possible. If you are a women at college or university, a career changer or a professional women in STEM with an interest in learning key Data Science skills, then this opportunity is for you.
Attendance at this course will increase your awareness and understanding of data science by developing and enhancing your skills and abilities to allow you to apply ground breaking data science in the real world. No previous knowledge or experience of data science is required in order to complete the course. Join us on this virtual live experiential learning course to demystify data!
Day 1 (10th March) & Day 2 (15th March)
Python for Data Analysis – CodeClan
9.00 am until 12.30 pm each day
Python is becoming an ever more popular tool for data analysis and data science. This course is a fully interactive, virtual live learning experience led by CodeClan expert instructors – Stephanie Boyle and Aileen McDonald. Over the two half days you will learn:
- Introduction to Python & Jupyter notebooks
- Manipulating and analysing data (using the Python library Pandas)
- Visualising data by creating plots (using the Python library Seaborn)
Day 3 – 23rd March
9.30 am until 11.20 am
Driving Value from Data and AI
An introduction to the business world of data – Data Science in context. Delivered by Craig Paterson, this session will give you the ability to:
- Understand how organisations use data and A.I to drive value
- Identify and classify opportunities within your studies or organisation to apply data science
- Gain an appreciation of what, beyond the data, is needed for project success
- Discussion on the skills required to be a data scientist
- An opportunity to ask lots of questions and to discuss with practitioners and peers
Day 3 – 23rd March
11.30 am until 12.30 pm
The one hour wrap up session on the final day will be led by Joanna Glenfield of Equate Scotland and will discuss next steps and will also feature presentations from SWAN, Auticon and MBN Solutions.
Pre Course Information
- A full timed agenda for each half day will be provided prior to the course.
- A video covering the use of Zoom will be provided for those who have never used Zoom before.
- All coding/programming exercises and related handouts will be provided prior the course.
- Each session will be recorded so you can watch it again prior to the next session starting.
- You will not be required to put your video on unless you feel okay to do so.
Places on this online course are free but spaces are limited.
To apply for a place on the course please complete our online application form where you are required to answer two questions in no more than 250 words per question:
Registrations will close on 1st March 2021.